Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sweet Rolls Anyone?

Odd question from a runner blogger, huh? I made the offer because like many of my fellow runners, I occasionally get a sweet tooth and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I eat a healthy diet, 90 percent of the time. That 10 percent indulgence is one of the benefits of running. An indulgence for me, for the most part, has to be earned. If I stick to my training program Monday through Friday and get in a long run on the weekend, I reward myself with something sweet, or one of my favorite comfort foods -- French fries, Thai food, pizza or crusty bread with real butter. One of my favorite post-marathon treats is chocolate ice cream. A scoop or two will do ya. Don't eat a half gallon. Indulgences should be in moderation and limited to small portions as not to ruin all of your hard work. Remember, food is your fuel for exercise so be oh so careful as to what you put in your tank.

Back to the sweet rolls. I've had a sweet tooth for the past 48 hours that I can't kick no matter how much fruit I eat. This morning when I was running past a local bakery, I inhaled the sweet smell of what I think was sweet bread. Knowing that running is just as much mental as physical, I played a virtual mind game and imagined myself eating a freshly baked cinnamon roll. I could taste the frosting as if it was dripping from my fingers -- which were covered in gloves! That fantasy didn't last long because the next smell I inhaled was compost on some one's lawn. A rude awakening to what I was really doing - running 4 miles!

When I made it home, I made myself a chocolate protein drink which really hit the spot. Following is my very simple recipe. Try it after you've exercised for at least an hour as a recovery drink. I only ran 40 minutes, but after my sweet roll nightmare, I thought I deserved it.

Until I run again.....keep moving and make it a great day!

Happy Feet

Chocolate Protein Drink
1 ounce chocolate protein powder
1 teaspoon creatine
1 frozen banana
1 cup chocolate almond milk (Diamond is my favorite)
1 cup vanilla almond milk (Diamond, of course)

Blend for 1-2 minutes and enjoy! Add ice for a thicker consistency or vanilla yogurt (low fat organic, soy, coconut, rice, almond or Greek)

No comments:

Post a Comment