Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Reason Why I Run

I promised to share information about my chosen charity, Project Eden, and I will, but I think it is necessary for me to first tell how I got on the path to what I will term my 50/50/50 (a marathon in each of the 50 state, and $50,000 raised by my 50th birthday).

Before I started running four years ago, my only motivation to run was from something (like a dog), or to something (a taxi). Running for the sheer fun of it or for fitness was not part of my DNA -- or so I thought at the time. My family members were shocked when they heard I wanted to run a marathon because they knew I didn't like to sweat! Now if I don't sweat, I don't think I've gotten a decent workout. I do believe that if I have to sweat, I should look good doing it. You won't find me running in mismatched clothing. Most of my shirts are from past races, but I've purchased socks, shoes and shorts to match (It is amazing what you can find on the clearance racks at Marshalls, Target, and Sports Authority -- more about that in a future blog).

My husband, Richard, was my initial inspiration for running. After standing in extreme temperatures as he raced through the streets of Chicago during his first couple of marathons I started looking at the different people crossing the finishing line and thinking to myself, "If this 70-year-old man can do it, I can at least try!" Those thoughts coupled with the results I saw first hand in Richard motivated me to train for my first 5k run in my neighborhood. It took me awhile after I finished that race to build up my confidence to run further, but I did. Within the next year I trained and ran my first 10k, and half marathon.

I wasn't satisfied with my half marathon time, so I trained for another one which was part of my training towards running my first full marathon, -- the 2008 Chicago Marathon. During my training for the Chicago marathon, I discovered my joy for running. Running is my time. It is an opportunity for me to clear my head and allow God to fill it with his plans and promises for my day -- my life. You see, I learned during this time, that my running is for me but not about me. I run in honor of those who want to run but because of physical limitations they cannot. I run in memory of those who ran their individual races before me but are no longer here to share their stories (my mom). I run because running is an outward expression of my joy for the Lord and all that he continues to do in my life and more importantly what he can do in the lives of others through me.

My goal to run 50 marathons in each of the 50 states by my 50th birthday (and most importantly, raise $50,000 for Project Eden), is my way of putting my faith to my faith. As a charity runner, I no longer talk the talk -- I RUN IT!! Thanks for your continued support and pledges towards my goal.

Until I run again, keep moving and make it a great day!

Happy Feet

No comments:

Post a Comment