Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pressing Towards the Mark

I enjoy running with my husband, Richard, because he challenges me to run faster and sometimes further than I would some days. I don't know if he realizes it but he runs in intervals of varying speeds. I am well aware of this because I run with a watch that tells me my pace (a watch he jokingly refers to as my wrist top). Even if I wasn't wearing my watch while running with him, I've gotten so connected with my body while running that I can tell when I am running a 10:30 minute mile (my conversational pace); a 10-minute mile (my tempo pace); and a 9:30 minute mile (my goal pace) because my breathing is slightly labored at this speed.

Richard starts running at about a 10:30 pace for the first mile then he gradually picks up his pace until he settles into what I consider his comfort zone, -- a 9:30 minute mile. Remember, this is not my comfort zone so if I run 3 or more miles with him, I get a good workout. When he starts dropping below 9 minutes, I let him stretch it out so that he can reach his goal pace.

If you are reading this entry as a new runner, I strongly encourage you to occasionally run with someone who is slightly faster than you -- especially if you desire to run faster. If you are a non-runner, apply this tip to the people with whom you spend the majority of your time. Surround yourself with people who encourage you to stretch beyond your perceived capabilities or to think outside the box. I challenge each of you to step out of your comfort zone this week. Trust me, it won't feel good at first. You might even lose a few "friends" along the way, but if they are true friends they will cheer you on as you strive to reach your race pace and achieve your goals --rather on the road while running or in life in general.

Until I run again... keep moving and make it a great day!

Tia
a.k.a Happy Feet Harrison

Scripture Reference: Philippians 3:13

2 comments:

  1. Very inspirational!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out my latest blog at meaningfulmiles@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete