Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Still Running....

It has been soooo long since my last posting that I don't know where to begin. A lot has transpired since my last blog in 2010. Not only in my running but in my business and family. So, in true Happy Feet fashion, I will try to bring you up to speed by using a running anecdote of some sort.

First and foremost I think an update is needed on where I am in in my goal to run a full marathon in each of the 50 states. I ran in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina this past weekend which marked my 26th full marathon and 22nd state! One of these days I am going to do a recap of each of my marathons and provide what I consider the pros and cons of the course, race organization, goodies and travel accommodations. I've taken notes over the years that I just have to post for your use should you ever contemplate running any of the same races.

The highlight of my South Carolina race is that I reached a new PR (Personal Record). I still haven't run a sub-5 hour marathon but I got REAL close this time. My finishing time was 5:02!!! For a brief moment I was a little disappointed that I hadn't pushed myself a little harder and came in under 5 hours but then I realized I hadn't run a marathon nearly that fast since July 2010 when I set a PR in Oregon. Most importantly, I ran the entire marathon (walked through the water stops) and felt strong in the end. My legs are usually extremely fatigued after 20 miles, but I was still running at a consistent pace. It wasn't until about mile 25 that I started doing what I call my "marathon suffle".

So here's the lesson: In life and running it is sometimes hard to determine why we can do all the right things and not get the desired results. I determined last fall that my last marathon of 2011 in Philidelphia would be my record breaking marathon for the year. I did my short and long runs on a consistent basis, properly hydrated and nourished my body, recited my positive affirmations (confessions) along the way, and took my natural energy gels on the road. On top of that, the weather was nearly perfect and my travel accommodations couldn't have been better. I felt so good going into this race that I pre-ordered a race photo and customized my bib to say "Triumphant" instead of my name. My finishing time wasn't horrible but my performance was less than stellar. I finished in less than 5 1/2 hours but I was struggling most of the way.

Prior to my most recent race, I incorporated cross training (biking and swimming) and cut back on my daily caloric intake so that I could drop the 10 pounds I'd been babysitting for the past year. I lost 3 pounds before the race, but I don't think that made much of a difference. If I had to point out one thing that I THINK contributed to my new PR it would be the strengthening of the muscles that support my primary running muscles as a result of my cross training. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Until I run again,

Remember: "All you can do is all you can do and all you can do IS ENOUGH"!!!

Happy Feet

No comments:

Post a Comment